Whenever I see a penny on the ground, I decide whether or not to pick it up off of the ground based on whether or not it's heads-up or tails-up. This is a process: I see the penny, walk towards it, arch over the object so as to see it in the most flattering light, lean in while bending at the waist, crouch down and finally see whether my luck is up or down. As if the course of my life would take an immediate turn for the worse when I saw the outcome of the coin, I cease breathing and look at the face. I tell myself, 'I'll die, I'll die if this is not heads up'. If it's heads up, I exhale, pick it up and breathe in deeply again. I have a renewed sense of being. But, I am not satisfied just yet. I have yet to see what the year printed on the penny is. Another round of logical decision-making, based on chance, ensues. Would the year on the penny be significant to me in some way? If not, then the lucky penny loses all of its auspicious meaning, and becomes a regular penny.
Today, I found a penny on the piece of pavement where the garage door meets the ground that that was not only heads-side up, but it was also from 1984. Therefore, I am not going to die anytime soon, and this is a valid lucky penny.
No comments:
Post a Comment