I often think that transferring out of SESP was the worst mistake that I had ever made in my entire life. But when I think back on most of the people who were in my Intro to Social Policy class, I think, Wow, I'm glad I got out. Those classes were so easy, I always left them wondering if I had even learned anything. Now, I think back on most - or ALL - of the people in my more recent BME classes and think, Wow, I really disliked these people. So, in a way, transferring out of SESP is still a mistake but probably not the worst mistake. Having earned an engineering degree - albeit with a struggle - I have some advantages over others. Case-in-point: a marketing associate who sits next to me asked me how to do a simple formula in Excel: dividing two numbers. I totally knew how to do that - and of course I can do a lot more sophisticated things in Excel. I probably would never have known how to do this had it not been for inane number crunching at Baxter or tedious problem sets in engineering distros. However, some other engineers are more or less on the same level as my marketing friend. A BME friend of mine, Sam, did not know how to code a function in MATLAB, which I thought would have been pretty basic knowledge for engineers. What does this say about me? It says that maybe I would have learned how to code and compute anyways had I studied something I was really, really interested in.
So, I made a mistake by shutting the door on some classes that I did really well in and liked going to. But, I learned very practical things by studying engineering - 'practical' being the key word'. Is this good? Bad? I would say somewhere in between, but less 'good' than the other one.
No comments:
Post a Comment